Tuesday, November 8, 2011

okay


I just made a serious noob move in the lab, fortunately it was for the best and was overlooked as the mistake that I thought it was. Here is how it went down. One of our mutants lines in the lab is resistant to a herbicide called BASTA. Most of the plant expression vectors that I use are also BASTA resistant. Is the mistake clear yet? I cloned my insert into this plant expression vector with the identical resistant marker as the plant that I was planning on dropping the clone into. The problem is that I would never be able to select for positive transformant if both resistance markers are the same. When spraying with BASTA, I would only get positive mutant plants back, I would not be informaed that I got a mutant plant with a positively inserted transgene. This expression clone is fine for selection of transgenic plant in wild-type plants, which I negligibly forgot we were doing.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment